About the Charles J. Colgan Scholarship
The annual Charles J. Colgan Scholarship, in the amount of $2,000 (Two Thousand Dollars), is awarded to a well deserving Virginia resident High School, Technical School Senior or College/University Undergraduate who is pursuing an aviation related career at an accredited institution. The scholarship will be paid directly to the institution in the name of the Awardee.
The deadline for 2023 submissions is Friday, April 28, 2023.
- Completed and signed application and all supporting documents received by the deadline.
Attained a Grade Point Average of at least 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) in their last full year of study.
- Completed essay, typed, double-spaced between 250-500 words on the subject: “Why I Wish to Pursue a Career in Aviation” or “Why Aviation is Important to the Commonwealth of Virginia”. Careers in Aviation shall include, but not be limited to, pilots, aviation maintenance, aviation management, air traffic control, aerospace engineering and aviation operations.
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation, preferably from at least one person in the Aviation industry.
- Proof of acceptance into an aviation-related post-secondary education program or proof of good standing in an existing program located in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Consideration may also be given to any additional factors or criteria that an applicant may wish to present to the scholarship committee by submission of an additional statement, typed, double-spaced, of no more than 250 words.
Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria: Academic performance (30%), Essay (30%), Recommendations (20%), and Subjective (20%).
How to Apply
Having read the requirements, complete the following steps to apply for the VABA Charles J. Colgan Scholarship.
- Complete and sign the VABA Scholarship Application.
- Have your guidance counselor or other high school official sign all required certifications.
- Attach an official copy of your current high school transcript and a copy of acceptance letters or other verification of enrollment or good standing/acceptance into an accredited post-secondary institution.
- The individuals that provide your letter of recommendation must put their letters in a sealed envelope, with their signature across the back sealed fold.
Mail all documents together to arrive by the deadline to:
VABA Scholarship (Attn: L. Cary)
c/o Virginia Aviation Business Association
1011 E. Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Questions: Please feel free to contact VABA with any questions related to scholarship programs.