Arsenal of Democracy Flyover Cancelled
Arsenal of Democracy Flyover:
Originally scheduled for Sept 25th, the flyover had to be rescheduled for Sept 26 due to weather. On Sept 26th they announced the sad news that the flyover would not be able to take place.
The statement reads:
Unfortunately, due to weather, we are unable to conduct the #WW2Flyover today (Sept 26), and our authorization for the airspace doesn’t extend beyond today, which means we will not be rescheduling the event. We are presenting a special video program on our YouTube and Facebook pages which will include footage of the aircraft and interviews with veterans to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII. We thank you all SO MUCH for your support and interest, and we’re sorry we couldn’t give you the show we all hoped for.
About the Flyover:
The Commemoration Mission
- To thank and honor veterans of World War II, including personnel who were held as prisoners of war or listed as missing in action, for their service and sacrifice on behalf of the United States and to thank and honor the families of these veterans.
- To educate the public about the history of World War II and highlight the service of the Armed Forces during World War II and the contributions of federal agencies and governmental and nongovernmental organizations that served with or in support of the Armed Forces.
- To pay tribute to the contribution made on the home front by the people of the United States during World War II.
- To recognize the contributions and sacrifices made by the allies.
- To remember the Holocaust.
Aligning with the sequence of history, and coming full circle, we will honor the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII with two signature events that highlight the May 8, 1945 celebration of the end of fighting in Europe and the September 2, 1945 signing of the instrument of surrender in the very harbor where the war began for our country.
A historic flyover the skies of Washington DC will include over 60 WWII warbird aircraft representing the United States and the British Commonwealth and other key allies, documenting the major battles of the global conflict. A flight over the National WWII Memorial will honor veterans, inspire youth, and remind the world of the commitments to global peace and friendship that followed World War II.
Arsenal of Democracy – Historic Aerial Parade
Washington, D.C. on Friday, September 25, 2020, as part of the Arsenal of Democracy 75th World War II Victory Commemoration Flyover.
Approximately 60 World War II aircraft will take to the sky in historically sequenced warbird formations. These formations will fly over the Washington Mall in two minute intervals. The formations will represent the War’s major battles concluding with a missing man formation.
More than 20 different types of vintage military aircraft are expected to participate in the flyover. Aircraft are being provided by multiple organizations and individuals whose mission is to preserve these historic artifacts in flying condition. Some of the historic aircraft expected to participate include the P-40 Warhawk, P-39 Airacobra, P-51 Mustang, P-47 Thunderbolt, F4U Corsair, B-25 Mitchell, B-17 Flying Fortress, B-29 Superfortress, and many others.
Learn more, click here for the Flyover Website
2015 Arsenal of Democracy WWII Victory Capitol Flyover
Story credit: https://ww2flyover.org/arsenal-of-democracy-flyover/
Photo credit: CAF P-51D Gunfighter, Photo By Luigino Caliaro