VAHS NNMP Members,
The monthly luncheon for our Chapter this week, January 21st, is canceled. We all know of the restrictions we must follow to preclude becoming infected with the virus that continues to be a threat to any gatherings, so we will not hold our monthly meetings until further notice. Please also remember that this may last for many more weeks, or months. I will send updates each month regarding our meetings.
This month I have attached an informational letter (see below) from Nancy Miller, our NN-MP VAHS Chapter Programs Coordinator and VAHS Board Member. It includes a variety of interesting aeronautical information sources and especially, the process we all should use to renew our membership. Please take a moment to read the letter and take advantage of some of the listed opportunities.
I hope to see you all soon. Please be careful, wear a mask, and follow the distancing guidance.
Letter to NN-MP VAHS Chapter, from Nancy Miller, VAHS Board Member and NN-MP VAHS Chapter Programs Coordinator:
In November I created a list of aviation-related sources for gifts, to be included as an article in the December VAHS Newsletter. As is common with newsletters the release date shifted, so the article was no longer timely and thus was omitted. While the prime gift-giving season has passed, there are still birthdays, anniversaries… and Valentine’s Day ahead!
So I’m sharing the info here, along with a reminder that the VAHS contact information will be handy in renewing your own Annual Membership, due each year in January. We thank you, in extra measure this year, for your support!
And, here’s a special tip: use the link provided below (“At Altitude Gallery”), and you can give yourself an absolutely free treat–just click to view the stunning on-line collection of “Low and Slow” aerial photography by Gordon Campbell, shot from his Ultralight aircraft and on display in his gallery in the Town of Cape Charles, on the Eastern Shore. Gordon has spent years creating aerial images of the Chesapeake Bay and the creeks, rivers, marshes and landmarks unique to our special region. His work is now featured on the cover of the January 2021 magazine, Dimensions, and will be profiled in depth in Episode 12 of the new season of “Curate,” WHRO’s weekly television series featuring Hampton Roads artists and their creative processes.
(Contact information provided here is from the various sources’ websites, current as of 11/28/2020.)
- Contact the VAHS officeto arrange an Honorary Donation, or a Gift Membershipwith your credit card (and inquire about special pricing if the recipient may fall in the “Student” category!). VAHS Membership includes the quarterly VAHS Newsletter, and other benefits depending on the membership level selected. Call 540-376-3265 or go online: email@example.com
- The VAHS office may also be able to provide copies of its own publications such as “Virginia Airports, A Historical Survey of Airports and Aviation from the Earliest Days” or “Short Stories of Aviation (…True and Tall Aviation Tales as Told by the Men and Women Who Lived Them)”– use the VAHS contact information above to obtain pricing and availability.
- Contact our partner, Shannon Air Museum, to inquire about admission gift certificates or arrange a donation honoring your favorite aviation history enthusiast: (540) 642-4387 or SHANNONAIRMUSEUM.COM
An on-line search also revealed the following examples of truly unique gift opportunities for that very special someone on your list. A search in your region will likely give you other great ideas, too.
- Bay Aviation, based at Hummel Field in Topping, Virginia, has offered “Open Cockpit Airplane Rides”in a historic 1943 Fairchild PT-19, but please contact them directly to determine currentavailability and conditions; (804) 436-2977 or https://bayaviationonline.com
- At Altitude Gallery, Cape Charles, Virginia (23310) offers extraordinary aerial images of Coastal Virginia (and multiple other locations) by Gordon Campbell. Visit the website to see an extensive collection of his beautiful“low-and-slow” aerial photographs. Call (757) 394-9200, or go on-line: https://www.ataltitudegallery.com